Monday, October 31, 2005

Day 4 - Train Toilet Terror

I had a shithouse sleep as 4 people in a small compartment with airconditioning that seemed to be working only when it felt like it made for some steamy atmosphere.

The Irish couple were woken up and kicked out before 6am which left Dawn and I to sleep...but I needed the toilet.

Now I had contemplated buying a a pack of P-mates to allow standing urination. Falling into a squat toilet is not on my list of things to do while in Vietnam. And just from experience in Australia I knew train toilets rate about a 96 on the rank scale. So I don't want to write too much about what I saw in my first Vietnamese train toilet. Needless to say that the toilet at one end of our carriage was broken, overflowing and stank like nothing I have ever experienced. The toilet at the other end was locked.



I was scarred! I developed an instant train toilet phobia (but isn't a phobia an irrational fear? .

There was 8 hours left on our trip and I couldn't hold on that long. It took a lot of encouragement from Dawn and her reconoitring the toilets in the next carriage for me to finally screw up the courage to go to the loo. Every muscle in my legs was screaming as I held myself , and the window bar , and my pants halfway to relieve myself. BUT I DID IT!!! *cue Rocky theme*

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger SacrificialNewt said...

Where's the pic?


j/k :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home